Wednesday, June 9, 2010

How many times did you do IT this week??

Today I hosted that long-awaited, highly anticipated, much-needed girls luncheon at my home and I have to say I was not disappointed (didn't think I would be)! 
While I admittedly did not fuss and prepare the fare myself, as I usually do (and am neither ashamed of nor apologizing for it...in fact, I'm thinking it was pretty damn ingenious of me), I did try, and believe was somewhat successful, to make it an occasion, a celebration of our friendship, an outing,  because, quite frankly, we deserve it!
Our gang, through thick and thin (thicker unfortunately being more frequent these days), ups and downs (ups requiring a little more liquid stimulation) and good and bad, for years now (you don't need to know how many, trust me it's a looooooooooooong time) can always, without fail, count on the others to be there for them (especially if there's wine and chocolate!).

 True, the subjects of conversation have changed; NOW when we ask "how many times have you done IT this week?" we're referring to our bowel movements not, tee-hee, well, you know (blush)  and rather than discussions of births we are grieving deaths; first steps and first words have been replaced by graduations and drivers licenses; and, instead of praying that our children  sleep through the night, we now plead with them to stay in so that WE might sleep!   Nevertheless, we enjoy sharing and find comfort in knowing that we are not alone in this teen hell journey.

There were lot of "Remember when?"s, some of which I did, others which I didn't (it's a proven fact that you lose brain cells with each birth and year of marriage), ALL of which made me giggle and grin!

We were all so glad to see eachother that at times there was so much cackling going on that at some point one of us was forced to do the kindergarten clap, you know, the one that the teacher does in front of the class until everyone is quiet!  (clap, clap, clapclapclap, clapclapclapclapclapclap)  AND IT WORKED!   We were just so happy to finally get together that the talking never ceased (often requiring a kick under the table when something that shouldn't have been said was) until of course the food was served.  You'll never see a group of women shutup so fast as when wine, wraps, chocolate and presents are served.  Yes, presents, you read correctly.   No, it wasn't Christmas, or anyone's birthday, but there were presents.  This group, well let's just say they like their "things".   There were gifts for the hostess AND gifts for the guests.  Everyone was appeased (except for my one gf's husband who wants a dog, but that's another story for a different day.)

One of the random thoughts that was discussed, and trust me there were many, was "What if people never lied? always told the truth?" ........  While this could prove to be helpful in some instances, like when the girls window shop around my home commenting on what they would like to take for themselves, they would, under these circumstances, have to confess.  But I'm thinking, the bad would far outweigh the good.....  I don't know about you, but I'm at the age that delusion and naivety are working for me!   I'm happy.  It's taken a lot of time and effort to become the person I am today and I wouldn't change a thing along the way.  When I put on that Spanx and look in the mirror I look goOod, I don't need to know that the bulge is now in my back ;) ..... let me be ignorantly, blissfully, content!  Keep your honesty to yourself, I'll take deceit anyday!
 The day ended as it began, all of us working together to clean up, pack away, chug remaining drips of wine and share hugs and kisses.  Each going on their merry way, with promises to do it again soon!!

I love my girlfriends.  All of them hold a special place in my heart and that's no lie!!

.........I still haven't figured out what's missing from my house since the luncheon, but something is, trust me!

2 comments: