Tuesday, June 22, 2010

You are my babies still!

This is a poem/letter I wrote to both of my children years ago 
when they told me I "worry to much!"
They are almost 16 and 20 now and it still holds true




Dear DDA and SOS,

Don't ask me not to worry
Cause you know I always will
Although you're getting bigger
You are my babies still

I wish I could do magic
So you won't make mistakes
I'd give up everything I had
I'd do all that it would take

If I could keep you safely
Tucked inside my arms
I'd build a wall around us
To keep you safe from harm

I'd never let a raindrop
Fall upon your head
I'd cup your ears so they'd not hear
Any bad things that are said

If I had the power
To make things go my way
There'd be no pain or hurt or sadness
And you'd be happy everyday

But as you know I don't possess 
The magic that it takes
To take away the problems
And make this world a perfect place

And since I don't
You have to know
I'll worry about you
What are they doing now?
Where are they and with who?

I'll worry if you'll remember
The things I tried to teach
Like not to talk to strangers or
Turn you back when at the beach

Don't forget to use your manners
Brush your teeth and comb your hair
Always do your best
Always do what's fair

Remember right from wrong
And don't give in to please a friend
Cause you're the one who has to deal
With the trouble in the end

I worry that other people
Do not see the things I know
The things way deep inside you
The things that do not show

Do they know your hearts are bigger
Than the universe itself
Or that you are both more giving
Than any one of Santa's elves

Do they know how much I love you
Or the way you make me feel
When I think that you are mine
It's still just so unreal

From the day I looked into your eyes
And hugged you that first time
I said I'll never let you go
You always will be mine!

So I'm always gonna' worry
No matter how I try
Cause I love you with all my heart
That's the reason why!!

Love you, Mommy

2 comments: